The following information is for pregnant students and in need of resources, such as who to connect with to solicit accommodations and how to access the lactation rooms. Pregnancy can be daunting and exciting; however, when you are a student, it is important to gather all the necessary resources to support you in your journey as a successful student. You are not alone. You can reach out to any of the below resources:
- Student Accessibility Services
- Ombuds Services
- UC Merced Health Services Office
- UC Merced Student Handbook(PDF)
- UC Merced Title IX Office
- Pregnant on Campus Initiative
More information regarding your rights:
- Department of Education Office for Civil Rights - Title IX: Parenting or pregnant students are also protected under the Department of Education Office for Civil Rights Title IX from any form of discrimination. The guidelines, which can be viewed here, states:
34 C.F.R. Part 106
Recipients of federal funds “shall not apply any rule concerning a student's actual or potential parental, family, or marital status which treats students differently on the basis of sex…[and] shall not discriminate against any student, or exclude any student from its education program or activity, including any class or extracurricular activity, on the basis of such student's pregnancy, childbirth, false pregnancy, termination of pregnancy or recovery therefrom, unless the student requests voluntarily to participate in a separate portion of the program or activity of the recipient."
- Title IX Requirements Regarding Pregnant and Parenting Students: https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/pregnancy.html#_Toc3
- Assembly Bill No. 2350: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201320140AB2350
Lactation rooms are available on campus. Please see the "Lactation Rooms" page for more information.
If you or a guest require immediate access, please contact the CARE Director: Yesenia Curiel.